Press "Enter" to skip to content

Angry residents block busy intersection after CFE failed to restore power

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — Dozens of angry residents took to the streets Wednesday night in protest of a lack of power. Residents from Palmas I, Misión de las Flores, Xcacel and Almazara say they’ve been without electricity 24 hours.

At least four residential areas have been effected by the ongoing power outages in they city’s far west. Angry residents blocked Constituyentes Avenue  Wednesday night after going more than 24 hours without electricity.

The blockade began around 8:00 p.m. on Flor de Ciruelo Avenue, but later moved to the busier intersection of Constituyentes and Paseos del Mayab.

They demanded the immediate reactivation of their electricity and for power company to put an end to the blackouts they say have been ongoing for two weeks. The Wednesday night protest came after a group went to the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) office in Villamar looking for answers.

The group of at least two dozen were met by Riviera Maya CFE Superintendent Guillermo Pedrero, who said the power outages would be resolved by 5:00 p.m. Wednesday.

When that failed, residents took to the streets.

Police were on scene as angry residents took to the streets Wednesday night in protest of a lack of electricity. May 20, 2026.

Last week, Playa del Carmen City Council General Secretary Luis Herrera Quiam dealt with other power outages reported around the city. He said at the time they were caused by damage to a distribution point.

That power outage, which was off-and-on for two days, effected residents in Galaxia, Real Ibiza, Paseos Sisal, Selvanova, Xcacel, Ejido Norte and Villas del Sol.