Riviera Maya, Q.R. — The governor says the Secretary of the Navy has the infrastructure ready to deploy to help defend beaches from the arriving sargassum.
Governor Carlos Joaquín spoke with Rear Admiral Alejandro López Zenteno, coordinator of the National Strategy for the Attention of Sargassum, who reported that in the coming days, a barrier will be installed in front of Puerto Morelos.
In Playa del Carmen, the sea barrier will be installed during in the first week of April and immediately afterward, in Tulum during in the second week of April.
The rear admiral added that in Mahahual progress has been made with the installation of 500 meters, which he said was installed Tuesday. He says the installation of that barrier is expected to be complete this week.
Rear Admiral López also said that sargassum collection vessels will be used to catch the sargassum in the sea, preventing it from landing on the coast.
“We know this is a natural phenomenon that generates adverse conditions, but we will be working with the Secretary of the Navy, the municipalities, hotels and the private initiative with our best efforts to keep the beaches clean so that they continue to be a great tourist attraction,” said Joaquin.
The arrival of sargassum has been detected on nearly every beach area of the state with Mahahual being the most affected so far this season. However, seaweed buildup, to a lesser extent, is also being dealt with on Riviera Maya beaches, as well as Cozumel and Cancun.