Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man sentenced for threatening and extorting Cancun Hotel Zone managers

Cancun, Q.R. — A man accused of threatening and extorting the managers of a Cancun hotel has been sentenced to 17 years. On Monday, authorities said Gustavo Camacho Ascanio had been sentenced for the 2023 extortion.

Man sentenced for threats and extorting Cancun Hotel Zone managers

The State Attorney General (FGE) reported that on August 28, 29 and 30, 2023, he began extorting the manager of a hotel in the Cancun Hotel Zone. According to police, on those dates, “the direct victim, manager of a lodging center located on Boulevard Kukulcán, received messages on the telephone number that the company had assigned him,” they said.

“The messages told him he was in charge of “the cigar vendors,” demanding that she allow his people into the hotel to offer their products; they also indicated that they had located her and that there was an order to “pick him up” because she was not letting his people work,” they added.

Police said the threats also extended to claiming to know where the man lived, at which time “the victim requested a change of work location to another country,”

On October 6, 8 and 10, 2023, a second victim, who was the assistant manager of the same hotel, also received extortion messages from the same phone number, demanding the amount of 15,000 pesos to “let him work in peace”.

Police said their investigation lead to the arrest and subsequent prison sentence of 17 years for Gustavo Camacho for the crime of extortion.