Riviera Maya, Q.R. — UPDATED WITH NEW INFORMATION: More than a dozen vehicles have been torched and two businesses set on fire around the state. On Sunday, emergency services in Playa del Carmen, Cancun and Tulum were out in full force responding to public situations.

In Playa del Carmen, local fire brigades were out extinguishing vehicle fires. Two cars were set ablaze in the Centro Maya shopping mall parking lot around 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

Another vehicle, this one parked on the street, was set on fire outside a private residence near Plaza Las Americas. Witnesses reported seeing men on a motorcycle light one of the parking lot cars on fire that quickly spread to the next vehicle.
At least three cars were intentionally set on fire on a section of busy highway west of the city of Cancun. Cancun firemen were sent to deal with the car fires around noon Sunday while National Guard helped to reopen the 180 highway after the fires.

Those car fires were on the road leading to the municipality of Puerto Morelos. Motorists who reported the fires said they saw men in other vehicles intentionally set fire to the cars.
In Tulum, two OXXO convenience stores were set to burn after the front of one was doused with gasoline. Those fires were also started Sunday morning.

One store in La Veleta neighborhood was set on fire. The other was located in Ejido neighborhood where an attempted arson attack was reported and a vehicle burned near the fire station. Around the same time, three vehicles were set on fire on highways outside the town of Tulum.

At the same time, one car was set on fire in the town of Tulum. Two OXXO employees were reported injured in the store fires.
The SSC (Secretary of Citizen Security) in other municipalities of Quintana Roo reported being on high alert due to the state-wide violence.

On Sunday afternoon, the SSC of Isla Mujeres reported “Following incidents in various parts of the country, the Isla Mujeres Municipal Government immediately reinforced surveillance and patrol operations throughout the municipality to protect the safety of island families and visitors.

These actions are being carried out in coordination with state and federal authorities, with a presence in strategic zones and high-traffic areas. Isla Mujeres remains calm and activities are proceeding normally.
“Citizens are encouraged to stay informed only through official channels and avoid rumors. In any situation, call 911.”

The violent acts are reportedly in retaliation for the death of a criminal gang leader in another state. Available information says a federal operation in the state of Jalisco resulted in the death of a founding leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, alias “El Mencho,” identified as the founding leader of the CJNG (Jalisco Nueva Generación) was allegedly killed. So far, federal authorities have not issued a report on the allegations.
Vehicle fires and roadblocks have been reported in numerous areas across the country. At the time of press, local authorities had not commented on any of the violent acts recorded around Quintana Roo Sunday.

There were no reports of any injuries in any of the vehicles intentionally set on fire.
At least one fire to a store in Cozumel has been reported, likely linked to the nation-wide violence. On Sunday afternoon, the SSC (Secretariat of Citizen Security) of Quintana Roo reported “as part of the operational actions implemented in the state this Sunday, one person was arrested in the municipality of Cozumel, and the pursuit continues for the alleged perpetrator of the fire at a convenience store.
“During these actions, a vehicle allegedly linked to the incident was seized. The Secretariat of Citizen Security reiterates that surveillance and response operations are active throughout the state, with the objective of preserving public order and tranquility.

“Citizens are urged to stay informed through official government channels and to allow free passage for emergency vehicles to facilitate their prompt intervention.”
UPDATE: Quintana Roo Governor Mara Lezama held an emergency security meeting Sunday. “We met Sunday at the Security Roundtable in a permanent session to monitor the actions and operations implemented today to ensure that peace and tranquility continue in our state.
“Coordination with all three levels of government, institutional presence, and on-the-ground work are being closely maintained in Quintana Roo to provide peace, order, and well-being for everyone. We will continue to provide updates…”
On Sunday, President Claudia Sheinbaum said “The Ministry of National Defense reported on the operation carried out this morning by federal forces, which resulted in various roadblocks and other reactions.
“There is absolute coordination with the governments of all states. We must remain informed and calm.
The Security Cabinet’s social media accounts provide continuous updates. Activities are proceeding normally in most parts of the country.
“My recognition to the Mexican Army, National Guard, Armed Forces and Security Cabinet. We work every day for the peace, security, justice, and well-being of Mexico.”
