Cancun, Riviera Maya, Q.R. — Along with healthy distance, mouth masks are now mandatory when people are out in public and those who do not comply will be fined. The announcement was made by Alberto Capella, Secretary of Public Security of Quintana Roo, who says the move is to help strengthen the prevention of the spread of coronavirus.
He said “the application of administrative sanctions with warnings, fines, temporary or definitive closure, which may be total or partial, and arrest of up to 36 hours will be made to the person who interferes or interposes the implementation of the present sanitary security measures, or that in absentia, refuses to comply with the requirements and provisions of the competent authorities causing with them a risk to people’s health.”
Capella added “we are giving mouth masks away for free because in the state of Quintana Roo it is now mandatory to use them in public places and in places where essential activities are carried out. These are the preventative measures that will be applied. Thank you.”
Commander Jorge Robles noted that health filters in areas of greatest traffic will continue as will the mobility restrictions on roadways, the partial closure of city streets, the maintaining of health distances and the stay-at-home request to leave only for essentials. Citizens are being urged to join together to break the chain of infections and guarantee the safety and tranquility of all.
Earlier this week, Cancun was pinpointed as one of the most affected metropolitan areas in the country having 200 of the 280 positive cases recorded in the state of Quintana Roo (at the time of publishing, however, the Cancun figures have since surpassed 220). For this reason, the state, including the Cancun-Riviera Maya region, has had its quarantine extended to May 30 with activities reopening June 1. For more than 900 other municipalities in Mexico, the quarantine will be lifted May 17.