Tulum, Q.R. — Approximately 17 buildings burned down after a fire started in a private home in an irregular residential area of Tulum. Firemen and the National Guard responded to the initial call of what quickly became five homes on fire in the 2 de Octubre neighborhood.
In a briefing, the Coordinación Estatal de Protección Civil Quintana Roo said “we received through 911 the report of a fire in five cabins in an irregular settlement in the municipality of Tulum, where until now, personnel from the State Coordination of Civil Protection, Municipal Civil Protection of Tulum, Firefighters, Quintana Roo Police have control the situation and are supporting the citizens. So far there is no report of any injured person.”
The call came in around 11:40 a.m. Sunday. The structures were built mostly with wood and grasses and burned fast. Neighbors with buckets and hoses were not able to put out the flames that quckly spread from one home to the other.
Shortly after 2:00 p.m., Guillermo Núñez Leal, head of Coeproc, reported that emergency personnel were able to control the fast moving flames.
“On the part of firefighters and Civil Protection in coordination with state and municipal police, they have the situation under control. The competent authorities are there. Fortunately there are no injuries, only material damages,” they said.
Firefighters reported that the fire may have started due to a short circuit. An investigation is underway. They also confirmed that there were no fatalities or injuries.