Press "Enter" to skip to content

FGE requires additional funding to deal with 200,000 case file backlog

Riviera Maya, Q.R. — The FGE of Quintana Roo will be requesting an increase in funding to hire staff to deal with more than 200,000 backlogged case files. State Attorney General head Raciel López Salazar says more than 400 people plus equipment and supplies are needed to deal with the years of backlog.

He said his request for the additional funding will depend on the XVII Legislature since the 2023 budget has already been approved and set. He said for this year, the FGE has a budget of 963,697 million pesos, of which 85 percent is for payroll for the current 1,800 workers and the remaining 15 percent for operations, which is limited, he said.

Even with the 1,800 employees, he said they need additional skilled bodies to deal with the files. He said the FGE needs at least 100 public ministries, 80 experts and 250 ministerial agents as well as vehicles, supplies and travel expenses.

With this, a budget extension will be requested from the State Congress to not only deal with the 200,000 files, but also obsolete computer equipment.

His request will be submitted despite the decree by Governor Mara Lezama to reduce resources to the autonomous bodies.

“Although it is true there are deficiencies, we have a strategy and plan that requires will and commitment to recover peace and tranquility in the state.”

It is a strategy that has an impact on the budget and we are going to manage resources before Congress to achieve a robust and consolidated Prosecutor’s Office to recover peace and tranquility in the state, he said.

While he did not provide the needed budget figures, he did say that they are in the analysis process.