Press "Enter" to skip to content

Agatha increases likeliness of hitting Yucatan Peninsula as tropical depression

Riviera Maya, Q. R. — While one low pressure system continues to soak the Yucatan Peninsula, another is expected to form in coming days. The system over the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico will continue to bring thunderstorms and heavy rains to the region.

However, in coming days, a second large low pressure area is expected to develop over the northwestern Caribbean Sea that will continue to affect the Yucatan Peninsula. The development of the second system will be partially related to Agatha, the category 2 hurricane that made landfall Monday in Oaxaca.

According to the National Hurricane Centre, there is a 60 percent chance of Agatha becoming a tropical depression over the next five days, up from a 40 percent chance 24 hours before.

Servicio Meteorológico Nacional (SMN), Mexico’s weather agency, says heavy rainfall will continue over the Yucatan Peninsula during the next few days. They say that since Monday, Agatha has weakened to a tropical depression, but continues to generate punctual torrential rains in Veracruz, Oaxaca, Chiapas and Tabasco, and intense rains in Campeche.

Very strong punctual rains are also forecast for Quintana Roo and Yucatán.