Press "Enter" to skip to content

12 found connected to attempted murder of Mexico City police chief

Mexico City, Mexico — A Mexico City judge has found 12 people connected to the attempted murder of the city’s police chief and death of three others in last week’s shooting.

The 12, who were detained by the Fiscalía General de Justicia de la Ciudad de México, are being held on firearm, homicide and attempted murder charges. The charges stem from the June 26 attack against a vehicle in which the city’s police chief, Omar García Harfuch was traveling. The SUV was riddled with bullets. Three people inside the vehicle were killed, while Garcia Harfuch was injured.

Two of the three killed were police officers acting as bodyguards. One woman inside the SUV also died. Garcia Harfuch was shot three times and rushed to hospital where he is expected to survive.

“The persons mentioned in this communication are presumed innocent and will be treated as such at all stages of the procedure as long as their responsibility is not declared by means of a sentence issued by the jurisdictional body in the terms indicated in the CNPP,” said the Prosecutor’s Office.

The group of 10 men and two women were dispersed between two state prisons that involved a security escort of nearly 200.

The mayor of Mexico City, Claudia Sheinbaum, verified that a woman and two police officers died in the attack on Garcia Harfuch’s motorcade. She also said that Garcia Harfuch is in good condition and recovering at a hospital. Following the attack, Garcia Harfuch has since said that he believes the attack was perpetrated by the Jalisco Nueva Generacion drug cartel (CJNG).

“This morning we were cowardly attacked by the CJNG. Two colleagues and friends of mine lost their lives. I have three bullet-wounds and several shards. Our nation must continue to confront the cowardly organized crime. We will continue working,” he wrote. However, Mexican Secretary of Security, Alfonso Durazo has said that the cartel’s involvement “is one of the hypotheses in the investigation.”

Security footage of the attack shows two vehicles and at least 10 men intercepting the SUV and opening fire. Initially, 19 people were arrested for the attack, however, 12 were found involved and transferred to city prisons.