Puerto Morelos, Q.R. — The government of Puerto Morelos continues with the regular removal of sargassum from its beaches. On Saturday, 1.8 kilometers of public beach areas were freed of arriving sargassum.
Leonel Salazar Trejo, the Director of Puerto Morelos Public Services, said that over the weekend, the arrival of seaweed lessened as its landfall has decreased considerably from around 70 tons to around 30 tons.
“We did not let our guard down in what corresponds to the cleanliness of our public beaches even when the sargassum landfall decreased. We work so that everyone can have fun on this long weekend,” he said.
Salazar contributes the decrease in the arrival of seaweed to the weather, since the wind helps to keep it away. He says that the already installed section of anti-sargassum barriers has also helped with less landfall.
So far, around 70 percent of the 2,100 meters of anti-sargassum barriers that are to be installed by the Secretary of the Navy (SEMAR) is done.
“We have coordinated work with the state and the federation, as mayor Blanca Merari Tziu has set out, so that our beaches are safe for our visitors and residents of this destination,” he said.
The municipal official explained that two Public Services brigades have been in place, together with workers from the Federal Maritime Terrestrial Zone (Zofemat) since dawn, with two tractors and a sweeper to leave the public beaches of Puerto Morelos free of sargassum.
Also, daily monitoring of the patches of macroalgae that approach the Mexican Caribbean is carried out.