Cancun, Q.R. — Classes at the Technological University (UT) of Cancun will resume next week after the long weekend. Classes were suspended this week after the university received the threat of a bomb.
The bomb threat was received by email through the UT Cancun system around 10:00 a.m. Wednesday. The university was evacuated. Emergency services and bomb squad specialists with dogs were sent to the facility where, for 24 hours, they searched.
On Thursday, authorities said that there were no signs of any bomb or explosive devices on campus facilities.
UT senior official, rector Julián Aguilar, indicated through a newsletter that due to security protocols, face-to-face classes had been suspended since Wednesday, but would resume March 22.
He explained that on Thursday morning, the various authorities involved in the supervision of the property, carried out a thorough and exhaustive review of each corner and area of the UT Cancun in order to locate the explosive object.
The operation was led by personnel from Sedena, the Navy, the Public Security Secretariat, the State Attorney General’s Office, the National Guard and Civil Protection.
Aguilar added that Cancun cyber police will continue their investigation to find the origin and those responsible for sending the bomb threat email. Aguilar also said that the email did not point the threat to any person in particular, but noted that it was striking in that it was very poorly written and spelled.