Press "Enter" to skip to content

Extreme temperatures continue for Yucatan Peninsula on first day of 2024 Atlantic hurricane season

Riviera Maya, Q.R. — June 1 marks the official start of the 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season. With between 17 and 25 named storms predicted, local officials have declared themselves ready.

Selection of potential hurricane shelters began more than two months ago starting in the southern region. Over 800 buildings have been chosen around the state of Quintana Roo to be used as emergency shelters if need be.

State officials are seen training committee members for the 2024 season.

Photo: Secretaría de Protección Civil, Prevención de Riesgos y Bomberos de Solidaridad May 31, 2024.

Each of the municipalities has also formed a hurricane committee of trained people who will be responsible for organizing emergency protocols in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane.

Training was provided to state officials for the 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

Photo: Secretaría de Protección Civil, Prevención de Riesgos y Bomberos de Solidaridad May 31, 2024.

According to the NOAA, there is a 70 percent chance their prediction of 17 to 25 total named storms for the 2024 season in Atlantic waters are correct. Of those, 8 to 13 are forecast to become hurricanes of which 4 to 7 could be major hurricanes.

The NOAA also says there is an 85 percent chance the Atlantic will see an above normal amount of activity during the 2024 season. The increased activity forecast is in part due to the increase in temperatures.

The state of Quintana Roo has recorded 40C (104F) to 45C (113F) degree temperatures for a second consecutive month with nighttime temperatures barely dipping below 30C (86F). The Weather Channel has again issued an excessive heat warning for Playa del Carmen, this time, for an entire week.

A severe weather alert has been issued for Playa del Carmen for the week of June 1 by The Weather Channel.

Image: The Weather Channel June 1, 2024.

The NOAA says La Nina and warmer-than-average ocean temperatures are major drivers of tropical activity and that the National Weather Service forecasters at the Climate Prediction Center predict above-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin this year.

The NOAA’s outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season includes a prediction of an 85 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 10 percent chance of a near-normal season and a 5 percent chance of a below-normal season.

The weather agency has already detected one out-of-season system that developed in the Atlantic in late April. That system was noted as being 38 days ahead of season. With the official arrival of the hurricane season, the first storm will be named Alberto.