Press "Enter" to skip to content

Akumal worker rushed to hospital after high voltage shock sent him falling several meters to the ground

Akumal, Q.R. — A young man who was providing construction work on an Akumal hotel was taken to hospital with third degree burns. Police and paramedics arrived at the hotel on Yalkul Street where they found the man laying on the concrete below.

While working on the outside of the hotel, he came into contact with high voltage electric wires. Not only did the electricity burn both his arms, the current also threw him, causing him to fall approximately five meters to the ground below.

He was taken to hospital with third degree burns to both arms as well as injures from his fall. Elements of the National Guard, along with Civil Protection inspectors, proceeded to close the project for lack of security measures.

They were also shut down for lack of construction permits. The 24-year-old worker remains in hospital.