Press "Enter" to skip to content

Gas stove said cause of palapa fire in Kantunilkin

Kantunilkin, Q. R. — A small palapa structure caught fire Sunday night in the town of Kantunilkin. Firemen arrived in the Tenerencio Tah Quetzal neighborhood to a roaring blaze.

Kantunilkin Fire Chief Jesús Alejandro Erosa Betancourt said they intially thought the fire was electrical, however, after reviewing the electricity, they found it to be in good condition.

A second review found the cause to be a gas stove. The stove was lit in the palapa under the grass roof top where the flames reached to grass and ignited.

Neighbors helped firemen douse flames in order to prevent the fire from spreading. There were no injuries reported.