Cozumel, Q. R. — Five elements of the National Guard who are believed involved in a recent kidnapping in Cozumel, have disappeared. The five men are said to have deserted their duties to avoid being arrested after being pointed out for their alleged participation in the crime of kidnapping and extortion of a Cozumel man.
On Monday, it was learned that agents of the State Attorney General’s Office (FGE) tried to execute their arrest warrants, but apparently the officers were not at the National Guard facilities. According to unnamed military commanders, the men had also not reported to work.
To date, only one of the National Guard elements alleged involved in the kidnapping and beating of the Cozumel man remains in police custody. He was captured on the Playa del Carmen side of the ferry terminal after attempting to flee the island.
The other five alleged involved, remain at large. The men are said to have been involved in the kidnapping, beating and attempted extortion of a 29-year-old private citizen for one million peso earlier this month.