Cozumel, Q.R. — Five people are under investigation for the alleged extortion and assault of a Cozumel resident. The five are alleged involved in trying to extort one million peso from the victim.
The State Attorney General’s Office (FGE) has begun an investigation involving five people that have already been detained by the National Guard. On Friday night, the 29-year-old man was physically beaten in his home in front of his wife, while his attackers requested one million peso.
Two armed hooded men entered his home and began physically attacking him. He was then removed from the home and forced into a vehicle where he was taken to a green area. The physical assault continued with his attackers demanding money.
When the man told them he did not have a million peso, he was abandoned in the green area where he was later located by police and medically assisted by medical personnel from an ambulance.
Witnesses to the event have singled out elements of the National Guard as the attackers. The victim told police it was not the first time he had been assaulted by the same group, who he said, he had recently given 300,000 peso.