Press "Enter" to skip to content

Unattended fryer completely consumes Kantunilkin home

Kantunilkin, Q.R. — A modest home has been completely destroyed by fire in the town of Kantunilkin. The house went up in flames Tuesday when the homeowner was preparing his fried food stand for the day’s public sales.

The homeowner,  José Manuel “C”, said the gas element for the fryer was on and preparing pork when he stepped away. During those moments, the fryer caught fire which immediately spread to a nearby pan of grease that then reached the grass topped palapa of the home.

Children watch from their porch as the fire eats through their neighbor’s home. Photo: December 19, 2023.

Flames more than two meters high shot skyward as the home was consumed. Nearby neighbors tried to put out the fire with buckets of water, but were unsuccessful. Kantunilkin firemen were called and able to extinguish the flames, but were not able to save the house.