Matamoros, Tamaulipas — Five more men have been arrested in the kidnapping of four Americans. The five males were taken into police custody Friday on outstanding arrest warrants.
According to the Tamaulipas Attorney General, Irving Barrios, the men were taken into custody after five arrest warrants were issued for the March 3 kidnapping that left two Americans dead.
Through social media, the Prosecutor’s Office said that these five arrests are in addition to the arrest of a person who was detained during the rescue of the four United States citizens last week.
“The Tamaulipas Attorney General’s Office completed an arrest warrant against 5 people linked to the events of March 3 in Matamoros for the crimes of aggravated kidnapping and intentional homicide. One more person, arrested days before, has been officially charged,” he wrote.
At the time of their rescue, 24-year-old José Guadalupe “N”, who was in charge of watching over the victims in a safe house, was arrested.
On Thursday, the Prosecutor’s Office reported the seizure of an ambulance and clinic used to hide the hostages and provide them with medical care.
On Friday, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said that the kidnapping of the four Americans is being fully investigated since it was revealed that three of them have criminal records in the U.S.
After their rescue, authorities learned that three of the four kidnapped Americans have criminal records that included possession, trafficking and sale and consumption of narcotics.
On Friday, the FGJ of Tamaulipas announced the arrests of Antonio de Jesús “V”, Luis “V”, Noel “H”, Juan Francisco “L” and Gustavo “M” for aggravated kidnapping and homicide for the murder of two of the Americans.