Press "Enter" to skip to content

CFE wire fire causes temporary blackout in busy Cozumel commercial area

Cozumel, Q.R. — A temporary power blackout on Rafael E. Melgar Avenue of Cozumel was the result of a CFE fire. A small station that houses high voltage wires began to burn. The New Year’s Day fire caused a blackout for several blocks.

Cozumel firemen were at the scene late Monday night dealing with the thick white smoke coming from the small CFE station box. The fire happened inside a box located next to a shopping center that powers a busy section of the island’s commercial area.

The fire happened around 10:00 p.m. January 1, 2024.

Personnel from the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) have not reported on a cause for the 10:00 p.m. fire that left one of Cozumel’s most busy commercial areas without electricity.