Press "Enter" to skip to content

Magnifying glass effect believed cause of Cancun junkyard fire

Cancun, Q.R. — Cancun firemen arrived at the Deshuesadero del Caribe junkyard Monday in response to a fire. The 1:00 p.m. blaze had residents in the El Pedregal neighborhood trying to avoid breathing the thick black smoke that could be seen for blocks.

Police were first on scene to verify the 911 report of a fire. When firemen arrived, they broke open a section of the junkyard’s concrete wall to allow a backhoe access. The machine was used to separate and remove several burning cars from inside the property.

Once Cancun firemen had the flames out, they reported at least three vehicles had been burned.

The fire is believed to have started by the sun in a magnifying effect through a windshield. It is believed hot sun rays caught old dry upholstery on fire, which spread to other vehicles.