Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cuban nationals arrested from Cancun hotel continue to wait for processing

Cancun, Q.R. — Eight of the 15 Cuban nationals arrested from a Cancun hotel are reported to have entered the country legally. On anonymity, INM sources said that the Cuban nations remain with the FGE while INM officers continue to wait to move forward with their proceedings.

On a case-by-case basis, INM officials will determine if they are to be deported, saying that at least eight are known to have professions and are to have entered the country legally. People from the group selected to be deported will be transferred to Chetumal.

On March 9, officials responded to an anonymous call of the Cuban nationals in a centrally located Cancun hotel. INM says that they will continue with these types of hotel operations where undocumented migrants have been known to hide out.

They report that 80 percent of migrants from Cuba are men between the ages of 35 and 40 with the remaining 20 percent being women between the ages of 27 and 32.

Nearly 60 percent of the illegal immigrants found in the state say they came for a better life, followed by visits to relatives and medical care. Last year, 19 minors were returned to Cuba, 13 of them, boys.

In 2020, 39 Cuban nationals were deported back to their country. Last year, INM reported 45 Cuban nationals being returned.