Press "Enter" to skip to content

Chetumal family starts off New Year with house fire

Chetumal, Q.R. — A Chetumal family nearly lost the contents of their modest home after an afternoon fire. On Wednesday, a fire ripped through the front garage area of the small home in the Proterritorio neighborhood.

Five people from inside the house were able to get out and request Emergency 9-1-1 assistance. The Chetumal fire department arrived at the Chablé Street house where they found the front barred section fully engulfed.

Civil Protection personnel arrived at the scene who, with Chetumal firemen, determined the cause of the fire to have been electrical. Lights plugged in on the outside front of the home are believed to have been the origin.

The front garage area of the home is left blackened after the fire. Photo: January 3, 2024.

The family were able to save a few items from the garage section their home including a motorcycle.