Press "Enter" to skip to content

Homemade units will not be licensed in José María Morelos

José María Morelos, Q.R. — Approximately 60 percent of the motorcycle taxis who applied for licenses will be regularized in the municipality of José María Morelos. The 230 units are in the process of regularization by the Quintana Roo Mobility Institute which will allow them to circulate and offer their taxi services.

The Municipal Transportation Coordinator, Pepe Luis Flota Hernández, says that only 60 percent or 230 of the 446 that applied will be granted permits. He explained that the remaining 40 percent were found to be homemade and will not be regularized by the Mobility Institute of the State of Quintana Roo (Imoveqroo).

Flota Hernández said those motocar units do not qualify since they are homemade and were assembled in a welding workshop. Those units, known locally as hechizas, will continue to be active, but only temporarily under the City Council since those homemade units are not managed by Imoveqroo.

He said that the temporary permits will allow owners of the hechizas time to purchase a proper motorcycle unit that can be regularized by Imoveqroo and legally offer taxi services on a long term basis.