Press "Enter" to skip to content

British man found dead in Cancun hotel in alleged suicide pact with wife

Cancun, Q.R. — The report of a deceased British man found inside a Cancun hotel is being treated as a suicide. On Tuesday morning, a British woman was taken to hospital after an alleged suicide attempt with her husband.

It was around 6:00 a.m. Tuesday morning when the body of an approximately 55 year old man was found by police after a 9-1-1 report. Paramedics confirmed his death inside the hotel room. The woman, his wife of around 53 years of age, was taken to hospital with wrist injuries.

The State Attorney General (FGE) has said the man’s death is being investigated as a suicide in which both the man and woman intended to take their own lives.

In an official statement, the Fiscalía General del Estado (FGE) of Quintana Roo said “the FGE reports that after receiving the report of a deceased person of foreign nationality in a hotel in Cancun, an investigation was initiated to clarify the facts.

“The first lines of investigation suggest that this unfortunate event could be a case of suicide, in which the two people intended to take their own lives.

“This autonomous body works in coordination with security authorities so that the crimes committed do not go unpunished.

“Likewise, close collaboration has been established with the consulate to provide the necessary support and accompaniment to family members with the relevant procedures.”

The couple, who are reported to be tourists, were found inside a Cancun hotel Tuesday morning. According to information obtained, they arrived at the hotel April 5 and were scheduled to depart April 9, but extended their hotel reservation until April 17.

The woman was taken to hospital with wrist injuries and, according to local information, is being questioned due to inconsistencies surrounding the death of her husband. Contradictory statements to authorities include both a suicide attempt and a heated verbal argument between them.

A broken blood-stained bottle neck was reported found inside the hotel room. Local authorities are working to verify what actually happened.