Press "Enter" to skip to content

Faulty electrical causes Mayan palapa rooftop to burn

José María Morelos, Q.R. — A majority of a grass rooftop of a Mayan home was consumed by a fire yesterday. It was around 1:00 p.m. when firemen were called to the small home on Santiago Pacheco Street.

Three firemen worked for nearly an hour to fully extinguish the palapa rooftop. More than half of the roof was eaten away by fire, while the top portion of the home’s walls were heavily damaged by fire and smoke.

The fire happened at a private home in the San Juan neighborhood of José María Morelos Thursday afternoon. Firemen have determined faulty electrical wiring was responsible.