Press "Enter" to skip to content

Kantunilkín home devoured by flames in late night fire

Lázaro Cárdenas, Q.R. — A small wood and palapa home was consumed by a late night fire Tuesday. Wind gusts helped fan flames that quickly spread to the rest of the building.

Lázaro Cárdenas fire Director, Jesús Alejandro Erosa Betancourt, said they were called to an address in the Miguel Borge Martín neighborhood of Kantunilkín Tuesday night by residents who saw the building burning.

When they arrived at the location on Álvaro Obrero Street, the home was already completely engulfed despite the intense rains felt over the past 48 hours.

Erosa Betancourt said they were not able to save the building, which burned quickly. However, no one was home at the time of the fire so there were no injuries reported.

Erosa Betancourt reminds people to check electrical installations and avoid leaving burning candles or gas stoves unattended. A cause for the Tuesday night fire is not yet known.