Press "Enter" to skip to content

SICT says Cancun Nichupté bridge land junction nearly finished

Cancun, Q.R. — According to the SICT, the land junction of the Cancun Nichupté lagoon overpass is nearing completion. Guido Mendiburu Solis, the General Director of the Secretariat of Infrastructure, Communications and Transportation (SICT), reported that section 90 percent finished.

He said the Nichupté Bridge at the junction with Colosio Boulevard is nearly done and that the oveall project is past 60 percent. He explained that the slabs and access ramps of the bridge at the road interchange are finished.

He said now, they are focued on details of the structure and removal of scaffolding that was used for its construction. Once that is done, the new area of road will be paved.

Earlier this month, additional hands were hired to move construction along. In early August, Juvenal Reyes Marrufo, the Cancun General Secretary of the Autonomous Confederation of Workers and Employees of Mexico (Catem), said hundreds of extra personnel had been added to the workforce that now makes up around 5,000 people to reinforce labor on different fronts.

The lagoon portion of the bridge is more than 60 percent finished. Photo: ICA August 23, 2024.

He said the goal in hiring the extra workers was to complete the project more quickly since it has an inauguration date for the end of September by President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.