Press "Enter" to skip to content

Modest wood and sheet metal home destroyed in early morning Chetumal fire

Chetumal, Q.R. — A modest home was reduced to hot ash Wednesday after catching fire. The wood and sheet metal house was completely consumed by flames.

The fire was reported in the Nuevo Progreso neighborhood Wednesday morning. Neighbors did their best to put the fire out while they waited for Chetumal firemen, but flames quickly ate through the building.

Area residents reported the house fire around 8:00 a.m. Plumes of smoke bellowed from the point of the flames which could be seen for blocks. Chetumal firemen were successful in saving other nearby structures, but not the home that caught fire.

A live spark from a gas stove is the said cause of the fire. The owner of the home was not injured.