Mahahual, Q.R. — A smolder reported in the roof of a Mahahual restaurant had firemen on scene. Staff noticed the dry grass rooftop of the palapa topped restaurant emitting smoke when they called emergency services Wednesday.
Police, along with two firemen, arrived at the costal restaurant located near Faro de Mahahual where they proceeded to seek out the source. Two staff members were armed with fire extinguishers in the event flames erupted.
The two responding firemen were able to stop the smolder and prevent a spread of fire to the remainder of the building as well as other nearby businesses. According to early information, the problem was found to be electrical.
There was minimal damage reported to the palapa roof-topped restaurant. An exact cause is underway.