Press "Enter" to skip to content

Chetumal theatre evacuated after popcorn machine mishap

Chetumal, Q.R. — Chetumal firemen were called to a movie theatre Monday after reports of a fire. Firemen responded to the call inside Plaza las Américas on Insurgentes Avenue where they arrived to thick smoke.

After a review, it was determined that a popcorn machine inside Cinépolis Plaza Las Américas had overheated, creating a dense cloud of smoke.

Movie-goers from inside were moved to the foyer while firemen dealt with the smoky situation, however, those public spaces also quickly filled with smoke, forcing many outside.

There were no injuries reported.