Press "Enter" to skip to content

Short circuit said cause of Cancun hospital fire

Cancun, Q.R. — Staff from the external medical area of a Cancun hospital were evacuated Wednesday after reports of a fire. Cancun firemen were sent to the Jesús Kumate Rodríguez General Hospital after a 911 emergency call was made.

The late Wednesday morning call saw medical staff and several outpatients evacuated from the affected area. By the time firemen arrived, hospital staff had already extinguished what flames there were with onsite fire extinguishers.

However, firemen made an inspection, ruling out further issues.

Hospital Director, Oscar Pérez González, said the fire was caused by a short circuit in an air extractor in the outpatient area, which, he said, was very difficult to control at first, which was the reason for the call and evacuation of staff and patients.

Injuries were not reported.