Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cancun hostel evacuated when third floor mattress catches fire

Cancun, Q.R. — A mattress fire inside a Cancun hostel had police and firemen at the scene. A total of 51 people, including guests and staff, were evacuated while authorities dealt with the situation.

The fire was reported Sunday night around 9:30 p.m. in SM 22. Firemen were quick to arrive at the central location after receiving the 911 emergency report. When they arrived, the smoking mattress had turned to fire.

The hostel was evacuated by police while firemen put out the third floor flames. Firemen had to break several of the upper level windows to let the thick smoke escape.

Within half an hour, emergency services had the fire under control. There were on injuries, only material damage.

On social media, the Cancun Transit Police posted “Elements of Policia de Cancun, Transito BJ and Bomberos Cancun respond to a fire report at the Nómadas hotel on Avenida Tulum. No injuries reported.”