Press "Enter" to skip to content

UK Ambassador suffers serious food poisoning after dining in Merida

Merida, Q.R. — The Ambassador of the UK in Mexico spent a portion of the long holiday weekend in hospital after being poisoned. The UK Ambassador, Jon Benjamin, made the announcement public on social media where he posted a photo of himself and a quick note.

“After a tremendous visit to Merida and its surroundings in Yucatan, unfortunately now I find myself in a hospital in CDMX due to a serious poisoning that the family suffered in a restaurant on Paseo de Montejo. I hope to come out soon! Happy weekend.”

The Ambassador and his family were in Merida at an unnamed restaurant Friday night where they ate before hoping a flight back to Mexico City. On Saturday morning, Benjamin made the public social media post.

He received numerous responses, one of which was from the secretary of Tourism Development, Michelle Fridman, who first wished him a speedy recovery and later requested more details to follow up on the case.

The ambassador and his family were touring the Yucatan when the incident happened.