Press "Enter" to skip to content

Tossed cigarette butt cause of PDC palapa balcony fire

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A small balcony that was covered with a palapa began to smolder Saturday. Building residents called the local fire department for assistance as the dry grass began to burn away.

A section of the small palapa was eaten away by fire after a neighbor tossed a cigarette butt. Photo: November 18, 2023.

The mishap occurred just before noon Saturday at a 20th Street and 1st Avenue building in central Playa del Carmen. Firemen arrived and dealt with the smoking grass before winds generated sparks and carried it to neighboring balcony palapas.

According to reports, a carelessly tossed cigarette butt was responsible for catching the balcony-covered palapa grass on fire.