Press "Enter" to skip to content

Regional home burns due to careless use of fireworks

Costa Maya, Q.R. — A modest house in the community of Señor burned during a recent holiday celebration. A large portion of the home’s palapa rooftop burned after fireworks became out of control.

The family of the home in Felipe Carrillo Puerto were celebrating a holiday using fireworks when at least one landed on the grass roof. Neighbors who saw the grass begin to smoulder and burn doused the flames with buckets of water.

They were able to put the fire out, but not before at least 80 percent of the roof burned.

The municipal coordinator of Felipe Carrillo Puerto Civil Protection in Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Ángel Sulub Hernández, confirmed the fire was due to the careless use of fireworks.