Press "Enter" to skip to content

Overloaded extension cord starts fire in Playa del Carmen home

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — An overloaded extension cord is being blamed for a fire that ripped through a Playa del Carmen home. Firemen were able to put out the flames but not save the second level of the home.

Playa del Carmen firemen responded to neighbor reports of smoke coming from the second level of a house in La Toscana. By the time firemen arrived, the upper level window had already exploded due to the heat.

Firemen spent nearly an hour attempting to extinguish the late afternoon fire that destroyed the home’s upper level. Civil Protection reported an overloaded electrical cord was responsible for starting the blaze.

In a breif note, the SPC (Secretaría de Protección Civil, Prevención de Riesgos y Bomberos) or Secretary of Civil Protection of Firefighters of Solidaridad reported “thanks to the immediate response, firefighters responded to the report of a fire in a house on Col. La Toscana.

“For your safety, we recommend that during this hot season, you avoid overloading power lines. In case of any emergency, call 9-1-1.”