Press "Enter" to skip to content

Overheated electrical system sends PDC firemen to central condo building

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — Emergency services were deployed in central Playa del Carmen Sunday after a transformer exploded. Firemen and Civil Protection responded to numerous calls regarding black smoke coming from a condo building.

It was around 2:00 p.m. when heavy smoke was seen rising from the outside of a condo building at the intersection of First and CTM Avenues. On site, firemen located the cause, which was an overheated electric system.

Municipal Firemen and Civil Protection reported briefly on the afternoon mishap.

The SPC (Secretaría de Protección Civil, Prevención de Riesgos y Bomberos) of Solidaridad explained “we responded to the report of a fire inside a condominium caused by the explosion of a transformer. Firefighters controlled the situation until the fire was extinguished and operational elements cordoned off the area to avoid another emergency.”

The cause of the smoke was an overheated electrical system. Photo: SPC April 14, 2024.

There were no injuries reported.