Press "Enter" to skip to content

Guests evacuated after electrical surge affects Playa del Carmen hotel

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — Guests in a central Playa del Carmen hotel were evacuated from their rooms Monday evening. At least four hotel guests were treated on site by paramedics after the hotel’s smoke alarms went off.

Playa del Carmen firemen had to crawl thorough a first level window above the commercial area to rescue six guests still inside. Municipal Police and Civil Protection arrived at the hotel to find thick smoke billowing from the hotel.

Two adults and two minors were treated outside the hotel for smoke inhalation due to the 11:00 p.m. electric fire. According to preliminary reports, the fire started inside the hotel due to a power surge after an electrical short circuit caused a CFE transformer to explode, leaving several central blocks without power.