Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A south-end shopping mall was evacuated in Playa del Carmen Wednesday after reports of a fire. Solidaridad authorities responding to the report arrived to find a smoldering ATM machine.
The early morning incident happened in a banking area of the mall while being used. A faulty wiring issue has been the said cause of the small fire that caused the mall evacuation. Firemen cut power and attended to the fire while Civil Protection dealt with the risk factor before allowing shoppers back inside.
Authorities did not say if the wiring problem was with the machine, plug outlet or building electrical system that feeds the machines. There were no injuries reported and no ambulances requested, only material damage to a single machine.